Crispy Baked Onion Rings
Serves: 2 - 3
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 30 - 40 min
- 2 large (or 3 medium) onions
- 1.5 cup of chickpea (gram) flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Colive Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.5 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup halloumi (finely grated)
- 1 tsp mint (more if you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c - we used a fan assisted oven.
- Mix wet ingredients well in a bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in another bowl.
- Peel and then slice your onion. Slice thickness should be around1.5 cm.
- We used 1 layer/ hollow ring for each. So gently push the middle of your slices to separate them into individual rings.
- Line your baking tray with a baking sheet.
- First dip the ring into the wet mix then press it gently into your dry mix. You don't want to overcrowd your baking tray so you might need to cook in 2 batches.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Don't forget to check them halfway through and flip them over if needed.
- Serve with your favourite dip.
- Our dip of choice was 3 tbsp tahini, 1 tsp honey and juice of half a lemon.