The perfect addition to your bread making library... Great with dips or simply fill up with your favorites...
- 500g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup (100ml) lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup (100ml) warm milk
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Colive Extra Virgin Olive Oil (some to wipe the bowl)
- Put sugar, yeast and lukewarm water in a bowl and gently mix. Cover with a cloth and let it rest for 5 minutes until bubbles form.
- Start slowly adding flour, salt, lukewarm milk and Colive Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- The dough should be soft and a little moist yet not sticky. If it feels too sticky, try adding a bit more flour.
- Sprinkle your work surface with flour and gently knead the dough for just a few minutes as you don't want to knead all the air out.
- Wipe a bowl with some Colive Extra Virgin Olive Oil and place kneaded dough inside.
- Cover with a cloth and let it rest for at least 1 hour. The dough will almost double in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 roughly equal-sized balls.
- Again on a work surface sprinkled with flour, roll these balls into oval or round shapes that are roughly 1/4 inch thick (you can use your hands, a rolling pin or simply a smooth glass cup)
- Heat your pan (cast iron is the best but any non-stick pan would do) on medium heat and lay your pita in the hot pan.
- It should start puffing up in 1-2 minutes; then flip sides. It is important to flip sides a few times so the pita will puff up and the steam will cook the dough from inside out. The cooking time per pita should be around 4 minutes.