A quick and creamy brunch/breakfast recipe. It is ridiculous how nicely yogurt and egg complement each other. It is quite filling too.
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar (lemon juice would also work)
- 3/4 cup strained or Greek yogurt (also at room temperature) - any creamy yogurt would do
- 1 small clove garlic crushed or minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Colive Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes or chili flakes
- some black pepper to sprinkle on top
- fresh herbs to sprinkle on top (like dill, chive or mint)
- Firstly, mix yogurt with garlic and salt and set aside so the mixture will rest for a bit and have a smoother taste.
- Carefully crack your egg into a small bowl (Colive bowl is perfect for this!)
- In a small pan bring water with white vinegar to boil (on low or medium heat). Once boiling, stir the water to create a whirlpool. Use your bowl to gently release the egg into the whirlpool. If you are doing more than one egg, as the egg spins and the egg starts turning white you can gently stir and create the second whirlpool for your second egg. Boil eggs only 2 to 3 minutes to have a soft egg yolk.
- While your eggs are cooking, put a small pan over medium heat. Add your Colive oil into this pan with pepper flakes. Stir and in a few minutes, your oil will turn red.
- Lift the eggs out of vinegar water with a slotted spoon and place over the yogurt mixture. If you don’t have any spotted spoon available, you can lift it out of the water with a normal spoon and place it on a paper towel for a minute so that it is relatively ‘dry’ before you place it on the garlic -yogurt mixture.
- Pour the red pepper - Colive oil mixture on top of your poached egg and yogurt.
- Sprinkle with a little black pepper. If you wish, you can also dress with some herbs.
- Enjoy with warm bread or pitta and don't forget to treat your loved ones to some cilbir too ;)